Saturday, January 9, 2010

Letters from a Slave (Week 2)


Slave letters are very rare documents. This letter from Vilet Lester is one of less than a dozen such letters we have been able to identify among the vast amount of plantation records held at the Duke Special Collections Library. In this particular case, Vilet's letter stands alone with virtually no other documents - no slave lists, work records, or owner's letters - to give us further information about her. Although many of the facts of Vilet Lester's life may be elusive, she still gives us a rare and precious view into slave life through this letter.


What little we know about Vilet Lester we have to glean from the letter itself. Clearly, Vilet was once owned by the Patterson family who lived in Randolph County, North Carolina. Vilet signed this letter "your long loved and well wishing play mate as a servant until death" which might indicate that Vilet and Patsey Patterson were raised together as children. Perhaps Vilet's mother was one of the Pattersons' house servants. This might account for the seemingly close relationship Vilet shared with Patsey.
In the letter Vilet mentions that she was sold several times before reaching her stay in the James B. Lester household. By her account, Vilet had been away from the Patterson home for at least 5 years by the time she sent this letter. We also know that Vilet had a child while owned by the Pattersons. One might be able to put these clues together and get an idea of Vilet's age or when she was born.
While we can make educated guesses about Vilet Lester, we will probably never know the real facts of her life. We don't even know whether Vilet actually wrote this letter or had someone write it for her. Although many of the facts of Vilet Lester's life may be elusive, she still gives us a rare and precious view into slave life through this letter.
Note: A transcription of this letter has also been published in the 2nd edition of Roots of Bitterness: Documents of the Social History of American Women published by Northeastern University Press, 1996.


Vilet Lester letter to Miss Patsey Patterson


August 29th 1857


Georgia Bullock Co August 29th 1857
My Loving Miss Patsy
I hav long bin wishing to imbrace this presant and pleasant opertunity of unfolding my Seans and fealings Since I was constrained to leav my Long Loved home and friends which I cannot never gave my Self the Least promis of returning to. I am well and this is Injoying good hlth and has ever Since I Left Randolph. whend I left Randolf I went to Rockingham and Stad there five weaks and then I left there and went to Richmon virgina to be Sold and I Stade there three days and was bought by a man by the name of Groover and braught to Georgia and he kept me about Nine months and he being a trader Sold me to a man by the name of Rimes and he Sold me to a man by the name of Lester and he has owned me four years and Says that he will keep me til death Siperates us without Some of my old north Caroliner friends wants to buy me again. my Dear Mistress I cannot tell my fealings nor how bad I wish to See youand old Boss and Mss Rahol and Mother. I do not [k]now which I want to See the worst Miss Rahol or mother I have thaugh[t] that I wanted to See mother but never befour did I [k]no[w] what it was to want to See a parent and could not. I wish you to gave my love to old Boss Miss Rahol and bailum and gave my manafold love to mother brothers and sister and pleas to tell them to Right to me So I may here from them if I cannot See them and also I wish you to right to me and Right me all the nuse. I do want to now whether old Boss is Still Living or now and all the rest of them and I want to [k]now whether balium is maried or no. I wish to [k]now what has Ever become of my Presus little girl. I left her in goldsborough with Mr. Walker and I have not herd from her Since and Walker Said that he was going to Carry her to Rockingham and gave her to his Sister and I want to [k]no[w] whether he did or no as I do wish to See her very mutch and Boss Says he wishes to [k]now whether he will Sell her or now and the least that can buy her and that he wishes a answer as Soon as he can get one as I wis himto buy her an my Boss being a man of Reason and fealing wishes to grant my trubled breast that mutch gratification and wishes to [k]now whether he will Sell her now. So I must come to a close by Escribing my Self you long loved and well wishing play mate as a Servant until death
Vilet Lester of Georgiato Miss Patsey Padison of North Caroliner
My Bosses Name is James B Lester and if you Should think a nuff of me to right me which I do beg the faver of you as a Sevant direct your letter to Millray Bullock County Georgia. Pleas to right me So fare you well in love.
This comes from Duke Univ. website: http://scriptorium.lib.duke.edu/lester/

18 comments:

  1. Reading this letter can really bring to life some points that are presented in the chapter we read from Ar'n't I a Woman? I think that posting this was a great idea to help give us an idea into the real lives of some of these women.. It's an eye opener...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This letter really shows how slaves felt and lived through the years. Vilet was torn away from her child but she never forgot about her and always worried about her. You can also tell that her family was on the Randolf plantation and she loved them and never forgot about them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vilet is so kind. She always thanks to her owner,Patsey. Through this letter, I imagine the lives of Vilet and even other slaves. And it makes think a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Letter is showing how the situation was for vilet.By which we can understand the situation of all other slaves too.But this letter is also highlighting the trust of vilet trust towards patsey patterson.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment made me realize the very contradictory relationship between slaves and their masters. On one hand slaves had every reason to despise their masters, yet Vilet feels a kinship with Miss Patsey. It reminded me of the third chapter in our Hymowitz text. Certain slaves (children) were treated well by their owners and this created affection between them. At some point Vilet must have felt affection to her master/mistress but, obviously it was not strong enough since she was sold. It’s great to be able to see the first-hand account of a person who experienced slavery. It lets us understand things better. Before the Hymowitz text and the letter I assumed there was only hate between slaves and masters.
    -Jenni M.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This letter is kind of sad because i think i t's just wrong for people to own anybody as property. Also, to take someone away from their friends and family to live far away is something i could never imagine. At least she was treated well and loved her "family".
    -Jaya H

    ReplyDelete
  8. This letter is depressing but also shows how slaves were mistreated back then. Humanitiy should never be owned as "property" nor mistreated. Vilet for example, is a kind and warm-hearted human being and was taken from her friends and family members. Reading this not only is sad, but also shows us the experience they had to go through and also to appreciate the things in life we have today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This letter brought a new light to things. The relationship Vilet had with her owners was more of an understanding in ways. She seemed to truely care and love her "family." She doesn't seem to hold any hatred towards her owner for seperating her from her real family and loved ones.
    -Courtney Phillips

    ReplyDelete
  10. by reading this letter one is able to see the different kinds of bonds that are made between human beings and it makes you realize how we are all interrelated. hardships do not cease to prevent the writer from showing her feelings toward her family. she seems to have a positive outlook on life and i believe that would be an important quality considering her predetermined social status.

    -S. ARROYO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stephanie Szeto

    I'm guessing that this letter was written by Vilet herself, taking into account the grammatical and spelling mistakes. We know that most slaves weren't educated or even literate. However, I think it's plausible that Vilet wrote this letter, because she did play with her master's daughter as a child, indicating that the two grew up together and possibly even learned how to read and write together as well.

    The letter definitely helps what we've been learning about in class come to life. You can feel her desperation to hear back from her old life in North Carolina, from her family and Patsy, her frustration and helplessness from being separated from her daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is sad that Vilet is torn from a child in a previous household. It just shows how inhumane the thought process of slave holders was at the time. They should have allowed her to keep her child with her when she transferred households.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The way that the letter is written looks like if Vilet and Patsey knew each other very well that they could talk about their personal things. Such that Vile writes about where she has been and wants to know about her daughter. Although who really knows if she got a respond back.
    Yazmin R.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This letter was very heartbreaking, but it makes me curious about what was going through the master's mind when they buy and treat the slaves the way they do. I wonder if they think they are doing the right thing. I don't have any kids, but having your kids striped from you for no apparent reason is heartbreaking! I envy her strength! She would rather work everyday, and remember her kids, rather than die.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't understand how a person can be so cruel to another because they think they are superior. No one deserves this kind of treatment, like is mentioned in the letter. I honestly can't get in the mind of the slave owners because I don't know where all this hate and brutality was born. These heartless beings called masters would take children from their mothers just to obtain money....that is the part that really just breaks my heart and the worst thing is that these poor African women had to deal with it and not complain because that's how things were at the time. -daycy Mancilla

    ReplyDelete
  16. its amazing that we even have the chance to look at a letter from a slave. it gives us the chance to be able to look deeper into the mind of a slave. allowing us to piece together information and understand exactly what they had to cope with, although i doubt any movie, letter, or document would allow us to really understand what they had to endure with.
    -kim martinez

    ReplyDelete
  17. Through this letter, I believe vilet was among the many few slaves who liked their owner and showed respect for them. She had to give her life up so that she could be a slave and she still said nice things about her owner, I have a lot of respect for her because if I had a daughter I couldn't imagine not being able to see her.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Vilet Lester's letter to Patsy Patterson made me realize that regardless of the time period or type of life one is living a mother/daughter/friend will always want the best for their child, love their blood no matter the separation, and cherish and love their life long friends. Even though Lester believed she was destined to be a servant for the rest of her life she seemed to have accepted it because of the love and friendship she had in her life.

    ReplyDelete