Sunday, January 24, 2010

Africa PP Notes

lAfrica
Muslims
Jews
Christians
Pagans
Matrilineal authority
Patrilineal society
lEconomics
lSlave Culture
lReligion: Islam, Pagan, Christianity
lSocial structure: Color, gender, age, ability
lCrafts/art/music: Weaving, pottery, wood work, New gospel with tribal sounds (Amazing Grace,
lFolklore:
‘Twas mercy brought me from my pagan land,
Taught my benighted soul to understand
That there’s a God, that there’s a Savior too:
Once I redemption neither sought nor knew.
Some view our sable race with scornful eye.
“Their color is a diabolic dye.”
Remember, Christians, Negroes, black as Cain,
May be refined, and join the angelic train
“I was broken in body, soul, and spirit. My natural elasticity was crushed, my intellect languished, the disposition to read departed, the cheerful spark that lingered about my eye died; the dark night of slavery closed in upon me; and behold a man transformed into a brute!”

No comments:

Post a Comment